Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Our First School Trauma

Miles got a blue today in school. That means that it was not a green day (a good day), and he had to have one warning from the teacher. When I opened his folder I said Miles, you got a blue today. I was a little shocked, we have had all green so far. Miles came around the corner and just lost it. He was laying on the floor and crying hysterically. On his calendar his teacher wrote that he was playing with his flips in class (he alphabet letter on a ring). But when I asked Miles why he got a blue he said it was because Joshua was touching him. So, I am not exactly sure what happened.

Anyway, Miles crying all night long. We got in the bathtub, and he was still crying. We were getting ready for bed - he was still crying. Now it has turned into "I hate school!" "I'm never going back to school!" "I hate Ms. Hopkins!" When I asked him why he didn't want to go to school Miles responded - while crying - "I am never going back to school again because if I go back to school Ms. Hopkins is going to make me turn my card again, and I am never turning my card again. That is what old men do, and I am not going to be a old man!" With that response I started laughing out of control, and reminded that he was still going to go to school tomorrow.

This started back up again as soon as we got up this morning. Miles was still crying, and now refusing to get dressed, eat, brush his teeth, brush his hair....We fought him for about 45 minutes. I finally told Miles "School starts in 10 minutes. You will be going to school today. All that you are doing right now is choosing how hunger you will be, and what you will be wearing when you walk into class." With that he ran upstairs, still crying, and got dressed.

I was really upset with Miles teacher for giving him a blue yesterday. I don't think that the "crime" fit what I have been dealing with for the last 12-14 hours. Now, I feel really bad about sending Miles back to school. I want school to be a good, positive and enjoyable experience for Miles. I hope that he has a good day today, and maybe this was he needed to make sure that he behaves at school, and then school will be more enjoyable.

1 comments:

Betty said...

This brings back lots of memories, I remember when Greg went thru a phrase that he "only" wanted to wear his green pants everyday.