Sunday, March 9, 2008

These Is My Words

For book club this month we read "These Is My Words" by Nancy E. Turner. I loved this book - also in the same breath I think it was one the saddest books I have read. It is written like a diary from a girl Sarah's point of view. It take place in the mid-1800's as her family was settling the Arizona territory. It was a great book of coming to age during this period. The trials of settling the territory with the constant threat of Indians and old-laws about. Yet, through all their trails they were able to find love, have families and provide care for each other. I loved that the author showed how they had to preserver, and really used their friends and family as strength.

I really liked the main character in the book, Sarah. She was a strong women who was fearless, independent, steadfast, had an unsatisfiable hunger for knowledge, longed to be loved and never recognized what good qualities she had. This character - and book - made me appreciate what I have, and kind of made me put some of my trials in perspective. I liked that I loved the book, loved Sarah, but when the book was finished, I loved my life and was grateful for my husband and kids.

0 comments: