For the last two weeks I have been in swim lessons with Drew and Tyson. I decide to do Mommy and Me classes with both of them. Tyson could have probably done the class with Miles, but he is still my cautious one around water so I decided to do them with him. I really enjoyed doing the classes with the boys. I learned alot of good things that I can be doing with the boys in our pool to help learn how to swim. The goal in Tyson class was to get him to swim with just his floaties. Up until swim lessons he would only swim in the pool if he had his floaties and stomach float. Which is actually already an improvement, because at the beginning of the summer he also had to sit in Drew's float.

Our first few classes Tyson had a death grip around my neck. He was scared to death to be in the pool without his floaties. When we would go under water he would come up with this look of horror on his face. After class I would ask him, how was swim class today? His response was always "I didn't cry!" I think that is because he wanted to cry through most of the class. By the last two classes he could wear his floaties to class and the first time that I let go of him and realized that he was not going to sink was a huge turning point in the class. From that point on he did not want me to hold him he just wanted to swim around the pool and would tell all the other parents as he passed them, "you know I can swim all by myself now." So I feel swim lessons was a success for Tyson.

Drew's favorite part of swim lessons was playing ring around the rosies. We would sing that song at the start of class to get the kids to go under the water. Drew would start singing "Ashes, ashes, ashes, ashes." Drew was really like his swim lesson for the first few lessons, then he was tired of them, and they kind of turned into a little bit of fight. There was on thing that we did called a seal dive where Drew is on my back and we both go under the water while moving forward. I decided after several times of doing this with Drew that he is half turtle. He could stretch out his neck so far, that I had a really hard time getting him under the water.
While I was doing the swim lessons with one of the boys, the other two boys got to be babysat. I think that they enjoyed the babysitting more than the swimming. They love it when older kids play with them.

Troy got to come to one swim lesson to watch the boys, and take some pictures for me. Thanks for this picture of Daddy Miles.
0 comments:
Post a Comment