Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We Don't Have Strep

I took all the kids back into our pediatrician this morning. I am glad I did, he was very reassuring and took time to answer all my questions that were raised from last night. Re-examined the kids, and said that we do not have strep, we actually have something called "herpangina". The first thing he said after this- was don't freak out, this is not herpes, just sounds like it. It is caused the the coxsackie virus. So the antibiotics we got last night will not help my boys, unfortunately we will have to wait for it to run it course - about 3 - 6 days. *ugh*

From what I have been reading today, this is closely related to the "hand, foot, mouth" virus. So we could be worse off, I could have three boys with sores all over their hands, feet and mouth. I can't even image how miserable they would be. The doctor said that it is very painful - hence the inconsolable screaming from Drew for the last 3 days - plus new teeth! My poor baby!! Hopefully this will pass quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, is that where they get like huge ulcers/cankers in their throat? Because if that's what it is...I've had that before, and it behaved just like strep. Yuck. Man...you are a good woman.

Greg and Carly said...

Kris!!!
This sounds horrible! I am so sorry for you guys, and will be praying for a quick run of the course on this one :) I hope you are all feeling better, soon.