Monday, June 22, 2009

I Smell Smoke

Yesterday was father's day. I think that we had a very nice day for Troy. I made him one of his favorite dinners - brisket and I think that it was my best one yet! We also had our friends the Turners over of cake and we celebrated Drew's birthday.


That night about 1:30 one of the boys came into our bedroom. As soon as they opened the door - I woke Troy up and said I smell smoke, something is on fire. We both got up and walked all through the house, we could find where the smoke was coming from, couldn't see, didn't have any flames - but we could definitaly smell it.

After about 30 minutes of this, I tell Troy lets go to QT and get a drink and see if we can see flames when we get back. Being the reasonable one, Troy called the fire department and told them we smell smoke - but can't see it. They said we will send someone over to look at it. In a couple of minutes here comes the firetruck with all the light on, and parks in front of our house and they all pile out in full gear. I am dying! All I can think is thank goodness it is almost 3:00 and everyone should be asleep. Then as they start going in the house and I see lights turn on and off in every room I am seeing every toy that was not picked up, and laundry basket of clothes that I didn't put away yet. I probably should have used the time before they came to pick up instead of trying to convince Troy to go to QT.

The boys and I are sitting in the car across the street from our house watching everyone walk in and out. Then I notice, there is a second fire truck and ambulance driving down my street. At this point I am a little excited that our house might actually be burning down and we might be rid of this nightmare. I watch all those fire fighters file in and out of house and at about 4:30 everyone packs up and leaves. That was very disappointing!!!

So - everyone was coming in and out house. They could all smell the smoke, but couldn't find the source, just like us. They did thermal imaging on our walls (hence the second fire truck) and still didn't find anything. They finally left with the ever so comforting - we smell smoke, but can't find it. We can't put out a fire that we can't find. Call us back if you see smoke or see flames.

By this time - the boys are energized and not ready to go back to sleep - neither is Troy. I am exhausted and go upstairs to bed. Just then Troy calls "Kristin! I found our smoke!"

Turns out that my water bottle fell on the coil in the dishwasher and melted. I turned it on just before we went to bed (about 12:30) so it would have been on the drying cycle while we were smelling smoke.

0 comments: