We were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition on Sunday and during the show there was a news commercial that said something like - they are building a home in Lancaster - details at 10:00. Miles looked at me and said "are they here in Dallas?" After a quick search I found where they were building and the schedule and asked the boys if they wanted to go down and watch them move that bus. Of course they were all about that. I asked Troy, he gave me the look of are you kidding? So I asked Kathy if she wanted to do it for our field trip day. I think that we are both crazy and willing to do anything together...and so that is how we got here.
When we were looking up on the website just before we left it was showing that the family was going to be there at 2:00. So we got there about 1:00 - with like the 15 day of over 100 degrees, neither one was very excited about spending the whole day in the sun.
We let the kids make signs while we were waiting. This is the sign that Miles made for the family.
They did take after take of the crowd. Here is Miles standing there proudly displacing his poster for the camera.
One of the many takes of the police officers escorting the limo to the house. They did all the stock photography for the show from about 1-3, so the kids were excited to get to watch all the officers come in on their bikes, and cheer for the limo. Yell "Move that bus!" Then do it again for another take.
When were first walked in we walked past rows and rows of police cars, and row of police motorcycles. We commented on how many police there was, and then I remembered the story of the Marshall family. He was a Dallas SWAT officer that was serving a warrant and got shot. He is now paralyzed, but it made prefect since at that point why it seemed like every officer in Dallas and all the surrounding areas was there.
After they did all the camera shots of the crowd we heard through the grapevine that it was going to be closer to 4:30 when the family got there. I started talking to some of the crew members that were walking around and they told us that they got all the crowd shots that they were going to get. At this point it was just going to be shots of the family. So we found a tree and trying to enjoy the shade until the family got there.
The family actually didn't get there until about 5:30. Before we could see the house and where the family was going to be stand when they got out of the limo. But when the family actually came in all of the volunteers and officers stood between us and them so we were not actually able to see anything when the family got there.
When I got in my car after everything it was 111 degrees, but I still think that it was a great experience. I love this show, and like for my kids to watch because I feel like it shows them that there are people who live in a bad situation but are still able to help others. I also like to see how many people come out to support the families. I hope that being apart of that today will help my kids remember that idea, and that they will always remember to help others.
5 comments:
That's awesome!!! What an experience.
How neat! We went and watched a house being built once when EHM did it in California - it is amazing how many people they have there at once working. Im impressed that you all braved the heat that long!
It sounds like a very hot but very fun day! I am glad you and your kids enjoyed it.
What a good sport you are, and your boys too. I don't know if mine would have made it that long. It's too bad you couldn't see the family when they arrived. We'll watch for you on TV ;)
enjoyed the photos of the boys, gotta love Tyson's happy smile.
Post a Comment